Social icons

Thursday 17 December 2015

Chiang Mai - My Guide

Just when I thought I couldn't love Thailand anymore, I visit this beautiful city.

Chiang Mai is a small city nestled in the northern hills of Thailand. With lush landscapes and a relaxed atmosphere, this place was perfect for me! I spent five days here but even if you visit for just one day there's still so much you can do.



Chiang Mai is a popular tourist destination, especially with backpackers. There are lots of accommodation options from hostels to luxury resorts. My hotel was arranged for me by Xplore Asia and was located just outside the old city. I would recommend staying in the old city or just outside as you can pretty much walk everywhere or jump on a red songthaew (shared taxi) which will take you anywhere for about 30 Baht.

Food 

The thing I loved most about Chiang Mai was the food choices. It was completely different from anywhere else I have travelled to in Thailand, with vegetarian and vegan options being very popular here.




Kafe Dada and Juicy 4 U, both located in Pae Gate area are both great places I stumbled across to enjoy a healthy breakfast or lunch. They both have amazing menus with a huge choice of including fresh fruit smoothies and juices, avocado, and homemade peanut butter. I was thrilled to find a veggie version of massaman curry on the menu too.

Temples

Chiang Mai has many temples, most of which are located in the old city meaning you can do your own walking tour. The best ones to see are Wat Phra Singh and Wat Chedi Luang. Most of them are free to wander around but some may ask for a small donation.









Some temples offer a 'monk chat' where foreigners can go and sit with a monk and ask them questions about Buddhism and life as a monk. This is to help them improve their English and is an incredible experience. Mine was even happy to pose for a photo! I had my monk chat at Wat Pra Singh temple.


Located on the top of a mountain is Wat Phra Doi Suthep, one of Thialand's most sacred temples. You can take a red songthaew here from anywhere in the city or hire a scooter for the day and stop off at waterfalls on the way up. Once you arrive at the bottom of the temple, you have to climb the 306 stairs to the top - the incredible views of the city are worth  it!













Massages   

If you are looking for a place to relax then head to Fah Lanna Spa. A tranquil setting in the old city to enjoy a traditional Thai massage. They offer a huge choice of massages and spa treatments with prices starting at 250 Baht. This company also supports a number of projects including the Elephant Nature park and 'Build a school project' nice to know some of your money is going towards a good cause.



Shopping 

I came across many cute little shops whilst wandering around the old city and the university area. There's also a Saturday and Sunday walking street market which starts as the sun sets at the main entrance to the old city. You will find endless handmade gifts and souvenirs as you indulge in some tasty street food. 




On my list for next time...

Chiang Mai is definitely somewhere I want to visit again. I really wanted to volunteer at the Elephant Nature Park which someone had recommended to me, but it was fully booked during my stay because of the festivals that were on. If anyone has any other recommendations for my next visit, let me know!

Namaste x


Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog x

Hello Sunshine 2015. Powered by Blogger.